Thursday, October 6, 2011

Simple Is As Simple Does, NOT!

So, let's see.  In my last post, I was to step 10 of the 3 steps in shipping a vehicle.  The simple steps are:


1. Hire a company;
2. Pay them;
3. Have vehicle delivered.


Hell, that's 2 steps: 1. Hire/pay a company; 2. Have vehicle delivered/pay remainder.


I was at: 10. Start contacting other companies . . . to be continued . . .

I forgot step 9.5 - Joyce doesn't contact me for two weeks so I tell her if they can't get a driver to take my vehicle, I am going to contact a transportation company, not a broker, so I can get the vehicle shipped.

Step 9.75: I get an email within a day from the brokerage (not a peep from Joyce) telling me my car will be picked up the next day.  For $250 more than Joyce had told me. I just have to sign the form and fax it back.

Disbelief.

Step. 9.9: Call and email Joyce and the brokerage that not only am I NOT signing the form; I'm reporting them to MasterCard - and I want my $150 "deposit" back (which turns out not to be a deposit but the brokerage's fee).

Step 9.99: Joyce replies quickly to tell me "there's no reason to contact MasterCard. We will refund your money right away."  She tells me this twice in a panicked voice.

Now back to Step 10 and forward.

Step 11: Listen to the pitches from another 10 companies.
Step 12: Reply to Frank. Listen to his excited fast-paced pitch.  Tell him I've had a bad experience and ask if they own their trucks - are they a transportation company, not a brokerage?  Frank says they own their trucks.
Step 13: Agree on a price ($1,000 which ironically is the price the other company had tried to jack me up to.  However, the market has changed and this is now about the going rate.) Explain I have to arrange for someone to be in MI for pick up & I have limited time to be in LA for delivery due to required travel.  Frank says not a problem, will pick up vehicle by Friday so it is delivered before I leave, or wait so it is delivered after I come home.

Next Steps - "Frank Fucks Up"

No comments:

Post a Comment